This weekend I have spent it home in LOGAN, because my sister Baili and her family are here for a couple weeks. Her BIRTHDAY is this coming Tuesday, the next week my Mom's, then mine, and then my sister Melissa. Week after week we get to light CANDLES, make WISHES, and eat birthday CAKE. It's a pretty great way to start summer if you ask ME! ;) Our oldest sister Emily came up with her oldest daughter who just turned 16.. CRAZY! My oldest niece is 16, which makes me almost 19, still considered a BABY! The topic of age came up and my sister Emily commented on how she was going to be 36. My eyes got BIG and I thought, "There's NO freakin' way you are 36?! You are still like 28, right?" To my surprise HALF my siblings will be in the '30's', It's weird having them get older.. it's okay for me to get older but not them.
Unfortunately, when we as KIDS get older, so do our parents. Is that weird to anyone else? They're our PARENTS they're invincible! I expect my DAD to still be able to go on a bike ride with us, play TAG with us, run around the tramp and pretend to grab us as we bounce around like pop rocks, or sit by the FIRE with us and brush our hair. BUT in reality, he can't run faster than us anymore, with a bad knee it hurts him to ride his bike for a long amount of time, and he would much rather sit in his RECLINER than with us on the floor. This weekend as we sat on our back porch giggling and laughing over all the stupid things we did as kids, and now the stupid and silly things my siblings kids are doing, Baili and I noticed how AGED my dad is looking. He sat on our porch swing with our mom, his sunburned hands, peeling rested on his legs. He's been loosing a LOT of weight, his pants no longer fit him comfortably, instead they seem to be falling off his SHRINKING figure. There are large bags under his eyes, accompanied by WRINKLES from the lack of sleep he gets from being Assistant principle to Junior High kids, and being a BISHOP to newly weds and young families. He looks more like his father than my father. Which is WEIRD to me, my parents shouldn't be looking this OLD yet, i'm only 19 for peet's sake! However one thing that has come with age for my parents, is whit.. man they are SASSY! My dad is super good at comebacks, I no longer can have the LAST word, because more and more he simply leaves me with my mouth hanging open.
I once had a psychology teacher tell me to look at my grandparents, that without fail I would be just like them. I SEE it, not with me yet but with my parents and their parents and grandparents. My dad is JUST like my grandpa, and my mom is JUST like HER grandmother. I want to be like my dad's parents, they are the world to me, such incredible people who are filled with so much spunk, sass and LOVE that it kills me.I never met my mom's GRANDPARENTS but they raised my mom so they must be pretty stinkin' great!
No comments:
Post a Comment